Bhubaneswar: Odisha on Wednesday recorded the biggest daily spike in the past four months in Coronavirus cases with the detection of 791 virus infections in the last 24 hours.
The coastal State had reported 730 infections on November 25. Today’s spike is the steepest spike since then while the contagion’s cumulative fatality tally remained has risen to 1,923 with a fresh daily fatality reported today. With the new positive cases, the State’s overall caseload has soared to 3,44,647.
The signs of resurgence of virus outbreak are appearing ominous as over 400 positive cases have been reported for 6th consecutive day including today’s posting of 700-plus virus infections.
The State has been reporting more than 200 fresh cases for 14 days in a row. The active cases have jumped to 4,255 with today’s steep jump in positive cases. The positivity rate of 31,531 samples tested in 24 hours stood at 2.50 per cent.
Despite the daily spike in infections, the state’s coronavirus death toll is on the lower side in comparison to other States. Since the past fortnight, only four persons have succumbed to Coronavirus.
The case fatality rate (CFR) currently stands at 0.55% in Odisha in comparison to national average of 1.30% CFR. 66% are men while the remaining 34% are women.
The State’s recovery rate currently stands at 98.19% with as many as patients 3,38,416 cured of the disease so far while the country’s recovery rate currently stands at 92.11%. Odisha currently has 4,255 active cases, which account for 1.23% of total positive cases registered in the State. At present the country has 6.59% active cases out of the total caseload.
The State’s share is 2.91% in the country’s confirmed virus caseload while the active cases are 1.02% of India’s total active cases. The number of cured patients accounts for 3% of the country’s total recovery. Odisha has so far reported 1.19% of the country’s Coronavirus deaths.
The state has so far tested 92,44,574 samples for COVIOD-19 including 31,531 on Tuesday while Odisha’s cumulative positivity rate is 3.73 per cent.
Of the new cases detected from 29 districts of the State on Monday, 459 were reported from quarantine centres while the rest 332 were local transmission cases, informed I&PR Department.
Sundargarh reported the highest daily spike of 147 cases followed by Khordha (118), Bargarh (48), Cuttack (46), Sambalpur (45), Puri (43), Keonjhar (39), Kalahandi (38), Jharsuguda (31), Nuapada (31), Mayurbhanj (24), Nabarangpur (23).
It may be recalled here that Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had asked the Director General of Police (DGP) yesterday to launch a 10-day special drive throughout the State to slow down the spread of Coronavirus. Patnaik had also directed the DGP to deploy police personnel in large number to strictly enforce the Covid safety protocols.
The Chief Secretary, ACS Health and Family Welfare and Senior officials were also directed by the CM to visit Western Odisha region and take suitable action where the concentration of cases is high due to the proximity of the districts to Chhattisgarh. Obeying the CM’s order, a team of senior bureaucrats led by the Development Commissioner have rushed to Jharsuguda and Sundargarh to take stock of COVID situation.
Delhi Court Adjourns Hearing on Sisodia’s Bail Plea Till Apr 5
Centre to Decrease ‘Disturbed Areas’ UnderAFSPA in NE States
BJP Wants Developed Karnataka, Congress Considers it an ATM: PM