COVID-19 spike goes unabated: Odisha reports 218 daily infections

Bhubaneswar : In the sixth successive daily 200 – plus spike in Coronavirus, Odisha on Tuesday logged 218 new
COVID-19 cases pushing the state’s coronavirus caseload to 3,40,620 while the numbers of active cases have surged to 1,837 with the latest surge in virus infections.

The State is currently witnessing a steep rise in new Covid-19 cases for the past one week. The districts like Nuapada have reported a rise in the number of infections and the infection is being sourced from neighbouring Chhattisgarh.

Steps are being initiated to suspend bus services to the neighbouring Chhattisgarh State from Nuapada, to check the inter-state transmission or spread of the disease, said health officials.

Meanwhile Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation administration (BMC) has decided to vaccinate teachers above the age of 45 years working in various private and government schools in the capital city. It has been decided to inoculate the teachers keeping view of the rising cases of Covid-19 in different educational institutions in the Capital city.

Amid spike in infection, the redeeming feature of State’s battle against Coronavirus lies in the fact that the State has not recorded only two fatalities since the past fortnight. Besides, Malkangiri district continues to remain ‘coronavirus free’ as no active case exists there.

The state’s coronavirus death toll stands at 1,921 with no fresh fatality reported in the past 24 hours. This apart, 53 other COVID-19 patients have died in the state due to comorbidities.

As per the data shared by State’s COVID dashboard, a maximum of 34 new cases have been reported from Bargarh, followed by Nuapada (29), Khordha (25), Cuttack (16) and Angul (12). Of the 218 new cases, 89 are local contact cases and 129 positive cases are from quarantine.

The case fatality rate (CFR) currently stands at 0.56% in Odisha in comparison to national  average of 1.34% CFR. 66% are men while the remaining 34% are women. The State’s recovery rate currently stands at 99.12% with as many as 3,36,809 patients cured of the disease so far while the country’s recovery rate currently stands at 94.19%. Odisha currently has 1,837 active cases, which account for 0.33% of total positive cases registered in the State.

At present the country has 3.14% active cases out of the total caseload. The State’s share is 2.88% in the country’s confirmed virus caseload while the active cases are 0.44% of India’s total active cases. The number of cured patients accounts for 2.99% of the country’s total recovery.

Odisha has so far reported 1.19% of the country’s Coronavirus deaths. The state has so far tested 90,23,098 samples for COVIOD-19 including 21,648 on Monday while Odisha’s positivity rate is 3.77 per cent.

About Post Author