COVID-19 Resurgence Continues In Odisha: Night Curfew, Containment Zone Returns In Villages

Bhubaneswar : The State on Sunday recorded the steepest spike in the past four months in Coronavirus cases with the detection of 471 virus infections in the last 24 hours while a fresh COVID-19 death was reported pushing the contagion’s cumulative fatality tally to 1,922.

The signs of resurgence of virus outbreak are imminent as over 400 positive cases have been reported for third consecutive day. The State has been reporting more than 200 fresh cases for eleven days in a row. The active cases have jumped to 3,085 with today’s steep jump in positive cases. The positivity rate of 29,281 samples tested in 24 hours stood at 1.60 per cent.

Despite the daily spike in infections, the state’s coronavirus death toll rose to 1,922 with one fresh fatality reported in the past 24 hours. This apart, 53 other COVID-19 patients have died in the state due to comorbidities. Since the past fortnight, only three persons have succumbed to Coronavirus.

The case fatality rate (CFR) currently stands at 0.56% in Odisha in comparison to national average of 1.32% CFR. 66% are men while the remaining 34% are women.

The State’s recovery rate currently stands at 98.59% with as many as 3,37,635 patients cured of the disease so far while the country’s recovery rate currently stands at 93.14%. Odisha currently has 3,085 active cases, which account for 0.82% of total positive cases registered in the State. At present the country has 5.54% active cases out of the total caseload.

The State’s share is 2.89% in the country’s confirmed virus caseload while the active cases are 0.74% of India’s total active cases. The number of cured patients accounts for 3% of the country’s total recovery. Odisha has so far reported 1.19% of the country’s Coronavirus deaths.

The state has so far tested 91,59,929 samples for COVIOD-19 including 29,281 on Saturday while Odisha’s cumulative positivity rate is 3.74 per cent.

The State government which had set the target of 2 lakh beneficiaries per day inoculated 2.52 lakh on April 2. So far a total of 28,66,255 people have been given vaccine shots, said the health officials.

Of the new cases detected from 27 districts of the State, 278 were reported from quarantine centres while the rest 193 were local transmission cases. A maximum of 85 infections were detected in Sundargarh, followed by Kalahandi (50), Nuapada (42), Khordha (40), Bolangir (36), Sambalpur (27), Jharsuguda (23), Cuttack (22), Nabarangpur (17), Mayurbhanj (16), Balasore (15), Puri (14), Ganjam (12), Jajpur (11) and Angul (10).

Meanwhile the night curfew will be clamped in Sundergarh, Jharsuguda, Sambalpur, Bargarh, Nuapada, Bolangir, Kalahandi, Nabarangpur, Koraput and Malkangiri from April 5 from 10 PM to 5 AM. All the shops, commercial establishments, offices, institutions and movement of individuals shall remain closed/ prohibited between 10 PM and 5 AM, except for essential activities in these districts.

Following the rise in COVID-19 cases, the Jharsuguda district administration on Sunday placed 12 areas as micro containment zones. Kalahandi district administration also has declared Chilchila village of Brahmanchhendia gram panchayat in Dharamgarh block as containment zone after six COVID-19 cases were reported in the village.

The state government has inoculated 2, 71,480 people on Saturday, 71,000 more than the daily target set by the health department.

About Post Author